Tuesday, August 02, 2005
Latest trek to Las Vegas. Missed the flight on Saturday because of housing snafoo but found another Southwest flight Monday morning after I obsessed about missing out. In a way it worked out better. For one, even though the flight was delayed in Chicago, it got to Las Vegas during day so got to see mountains near Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam which was quite lovely. It turns out that the hostel I made reservations at was in a horrible area of Las Vegas and getting there at night would have really been bad. It took 2 hours and 2 buses to get there from the strip; the locals who got off at my stop warned me not to go out and spent time bashing tourists(note to self--check out Lonely Planet guide next time even if it's in the US) . Had a little fun in the pool until I got hit hard in the face by a German girl. Chatted with girl from Turkey in room.
As luck would have it, another SV had checked out early so I was able to stay with 3 other SVs at the Caesar's Palace the next day--for the same price! It was a real treat. I was pretty jetlagged though. No SV lounge or gathering this time so not as good for meeting people.
Went to some interesting lectures with relaxing duties, so turned out to be a good experience. Only problem was many no-shows. Had wanted to see Genevieve Bell and Danah Boyd, who were both scheduled to speak, but over 10% of panelists were no-shows.
Exploring--walked up strip first night. Beautiful Bellagio fountains choreographed to music. Mostly lights and crowds, have to walk through casinos to get to any part of hotesl. In Caesar's Forum Shops, talking statues, kind of blah very European, actually reminding me of a mall I had seen in Japan with clouds and blue sky on the ceilings. Fake volcano and white tiger, skipped flamingos which other SVs went to see.
Shows way too expensive--even art museum was $15 and headliners were over $100. But found out about half price tickets to Star Trek experience which took advantage of on Wednesday evening before heading to the airport. Fun, though people I was with were so quiet in contrast to the hyperactive actors that felt extra staged. Splurged on pictures, teddy bear and t-shirt. Waited a while for shuttle but finally arrived after a few frantic phone calls and got there with 5 other students from the conference. Turns out mine was one of few flights leaving on time. Got no sleep because of kicking kids and uncomfortable flight. But overall good experience.
As luck would have it, another SV had checked out early so I was able to stay with 3 other SVs at the Caesar's Palace the next day--for the same price! It was a real treat. I was pretty jetlagged though. No SV lounge or gathering this time so not as good for meeting people.
Went to some interesting lectures with relaxing duties, so turned out to be a good experience. Only problem was many no-shows. Had wanted to see Genevieve Bell and Danah Boyd, who were both scheduled to speak, but over 10% of panelists were no-shows.
Exploring--walked up strip first night. Beautiful Bellagio fountains choreographed to music. Mostly lights and crowds, have to walk through casinos to get to any part of hotesl. In Caesar's Forum Shops, talking statues, kind of blah very European, actually reminding me of a mall I had seen in Japan with clouds and blue sky on the ceilings. Fake volcano and white tiger, skipped flamingos which other SVs went to see.
Shows way too expensive--even art museum was $15 and headliners were over $100. But found out about half price tickets to Star Trek experience which took advantage of on Wednesday evening before heading to the airport. Fun, though people I was with were so quiet in contrast to the hyperactive actors that felt extra staged. Splurged on pictures, teddy bear and t-shirt. Waited a while for shuttle but finally arrived after a few frantic phone calls and got there with 5 other students from the conference. Turns out mine was one of few flights leaving on time. Got no sleep because of kicking kids and uncomfortable flight. But overall good experience.
Comments:
Post a Comment