Friday, June 18, 2004
From Wednesday night:
Another stressful few days worrying about whether I'd be allowed to drop classes. Had to email several people and was worried about people not responding but luckily Norberto intervened with study abroad office so I can drop down to 9 hrs. A little reluctant to drop Sabir's class, esp since I could use another good grade(was chatting with Daniel who pointed out that the grade distribution has been overwhelmingly A's with a few B's), but I've just been so tired and am realizing how much of the city I have yet to explore because I've spent so much time in the computer lab, at home and looking for another apartment.
Still really disoriented after the trip so probably won't try another big one until the end. Everyone has gone off to either Rome, Mallorca or Great Britain this long weekend. I still might try to go to Basque country or do a day trip to Sitges or Girona. I haven't even gone to Parc Guell or Sagrada Familia at all so definitely should spend more time wandering Barcelona. I walked around the neighborhood a little this morning and evening, checking out the local supermarkets--4 within a 2 block radius in addition to several fruit shops--as well as a couple of call center/internet places, one of which will set me up with my laptop (yay!) and an internet cybercafe that has specials combining 1/2 hr internet access with coffee, smoothies, or pastries.
Interviewed with design firm I found on web last semester which happens to be right around corner. My language skills were what seemed to impress them the most--they work with French people so I need to be able to understand specs. I'd be working for free of course but it seems like it would be a good experience. Hope it works out.
Third homestay seems to be the charm thus far. Was worried originally about mom/daughter but daughter turns out to be really cool and chatted with her a while today. She went with friends to Sitges, to hang out on the beach. Watched Japanese-dubbed-into-Catalan manga cartoon with her followed by "Third Rock from Sun" also dubbed into Catalan. Rosa, the lady who owns the apt is kind of funny, talkative and much more laidback than Carmen so it looks like things will work out. Gave her the month's rent today since am finally convinced that classes are going to work out. Still getting used to house--had trouble unlocking door from inside and couldn't figure out how the oven worked. Meeting a lot of the neighbors on the elevator and in the lobby today.
Note from the other day--When talking to Carmen, people yelling across and she asked why people yelled and if they did that where I was. Guess the issue is that apartment buildings are so close together here that noise travels across floors and courtyards more than it would in States where there's a little bit more space usually. I was wandering on terrace today to see if I could get a wireless signal (detected 3 but all protected) and got views of backsides of at least 10 or 20 buildings back sides, windows and laundry. Driers don't seem to exist here and laundry is ridiculously expensive--9 euros a load.
Another stressful few days worrying about whether I'd be allowed to drop classes. Had to email several people and was worried about people not responding but luckily Norberto intervened with study abroad office so I can drop down to 9 hrs. A little reluctant to drop Sabir's class, esp since I could use another good grade(was chatting with Daniel who pointed out that the grade distribution has been overwhelmingly A's with a few B's), but I've just been so tired and am realizing how much of the city I have yet to explore because I've spent so much time in the computer lab, at home and looking for another apartment.
Still really disoriented after the trip so probably won't try another big one until the end. Everyone has gone off to either Rome, Mallorca or Great Britain this long weekend. I still might try to go to Basque country or do a day trip to Sitges or Girona. I haven't even gone to Parc Guell or Sagrada Familia at all so definitely should spend more time wandering Barcelona. I walked around the neighborhood a little this morning and evening, checking out the local supermarkets--4 within a 2 block radius in addition to several fruit shops--as well as a couple of call center/internet places, one of which will set me up with my laptop (yay!) and an internet cybercafe that has specials combining 1/2 hr internet access with coffee, smoothies, or pastries.
Interviewed with design firm I found on web last semester which happens to be right around corner. My language skills were what seemed to impress them the most--they work with French people so I need to be able to understand specs. I'd be working for free of course but it seems like it would be a good experience. Hope it works out.
Third homestay seems to be the charm thus far. Was worried originally about mom/daughter but daughter turns out to be really cool and chatted with her a while today. She went with friends to Sitges, to hang out on the beach. Watched Japanese-dubbed-into-Catalan manga cartoon with her followed by "Third Rock from Sun" also dubbed into Catalan. Rosa, the lady who owns the apt is kind of funny, talkative and much more laidback than Carmen so it looks like things will work out. Gave her the month's rent today since am finally convinced that classes are going to work out. Still getting used to house--had trouble unlocking door from inside and couldn't figure out how the oven worked. Meeting a lot of the neighbors on the elevator and in the lobby today.
Note from the other day--When talking to Carmen, people yelling across and she asked why people yelled and if they did that where I was. Guess the issue is that apartment buildings are so close together here that noise travels across floors and courtyards more than it would in States where there's a little bit more space usually. I was wandering on terrace today to see if I could get a wireless signal (detected 3 but all protected) and got views of backsides of at least 10 or 20 buildings back sides, windows and laundry. Driers don't seem to exist here and laundry is ridiculously expensive--9 euros a load.
Comments:
Post a Comment